Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Please, no, not Moss (and Happy Valentine's Day)

Hi guys. A couple of things:

1) My friend and colleague Tom Sorensen advocates the Panthers looking seriously into Randy Moss for the 2012 season in this column. I think it's a terrible idea. Moss not only is the wrong age (35), but the speed that made him special isn't there anymore. Bottom line: Can't play. The Panthers already have David Gettis on the roster, remember -- he and Brandon LaFell should be the No.2 and No.3 wideouts next season, with Steve Smith No.1. This team could use an influx of veterans at a position or two, but not there.

2) Attention all N.C. State fans -- I'm writing a column for Thursday about the Wolfpack and coach Mark Gottfried, whom I interviewed recently and who has already had more ACC wins this season than Sidney Lowe did in any of his five years in Raleigh. We'll have a video to go along with this column and it will be posted a day in advance, on Wednesday. Please keep an eye out for that.

3) Happy Valentine's Day! Not to get all mushy on you, but I do very much appreciate all those who read this blog regularly and comment on its contents with thoughtfulness and passion. Thank you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree on Moss. Looking forward to the Gottfried article!

Anonymous said...

The NC State talk will stop after Duke crushes them by 20 in Cameron.

Anonymous said...

I like Tom, but I think he has lost his bloody mind. Not that I think Gettis is any good (I don't), but Moss is the last thing anyone needs. Let him go play arena ball with TO.

Brandon LaFell had a very solid season playing behind Rivera's pet project, Nanee. Assuming Rivera is finally convinced Nanee is not the answer, LaFell will get the #2 slot he has earned.

I hold no expectation for Gettis. He had 2 good games on the worst offense in NFL history. If he had been a shining star on that team, that would be one thing. I just don't understand why everyone lists "Gettis will be back" in their list of reasons why we'll make the playoffs next year.

Anonymous said...

The fact that Gettis had 2 great games on the NFL's worst offense, one with Brian St. Pierre at QB, shows that he is a good reciever. He had 2 more TDs than Smith and 2 more 100 yard games than Smith that year

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Agree with Scott on Moss. Disagree with J on Gettis. I've watched the kid at Baylor and his first year here and you have to give the kid credit. He has definite potential. How that potential translates into a successful career, I don't know. Depends on him and if he can keep improving and stay healthy. I honestly think he is better than LaFell, but this year LaFell started to show definite improvement, while Gettis was out, so well see.

Anonymous said...

I very rarely agree with Scott...but on the Moss idea I say heck no, we dont want or need him

Unknown said...

Tom sometimes puts things out there in order to stimulate discussion - I think - which is good. But if he really advocates having Moss here - I adamantly disagree with him.

Anonymous said...

Word around Panther camp is that we are players in the Vincent Jackson sweepstakes.