Friday, July 29, 2011

Smith on Smith: Always entertaining

Steve Smith showed up as scheduled at training camp in Spartanburg today, one day after the news broke that he had decided he wanted to play for the Panthers and not try to force a trade.

Smith was in a reflective mood, saying he had been an "ass" and acted immaturely too often in his career with the Panthers. That career has included four Pro Bowls and 60 touchdowns (most in team history). But it also has included Smith striking two teammates at separate times in his career and several other temperamental outbursts.

"You have to admit that pretty much that I made an ass out of myself for a long time here by letting my emotions get the best of me," Smith said Friday in front of the players' dorm at Wofford College. (My column on Smith in today's newspaper can be found here).

Smith said he and rookie quarterback Cam Newton have been working out privately with each other as recently as a week ago. Why Newton and not Jimmy Clausen?

Smith said because Clausen has been on the West Coast, where he's from, most of the time. But it's obvious that Smith and Newton have already become buddies -- they were texting each other Friday until Smith said he had to put up his phone because he wasn't going to text while driving to Spartanburg.

Smith reiterated Friday that his decision to stay was a "family-first" decision and that it wasn't about money.

"It wasn't because I was going to be released or contract stuff," said Smith, who has two years and $14.75 million left on his deal. "I never asked for any money or an extension or wanted any money. You know last year was frustrating for everyone and at times -- I'd say 95 percent of the time -- I didn't handle it very well.

"I wasn't responsible in handling it. And you know I take full responsibility and blame for that.... I never demanded a trade. But we looked at our future here and at the end of the day the decision that was made was made because of my wife and my children. This is where we wanted to be and that's why I'm here -- I'm here to play football.

"Whether people have things to say about my contract or if I've lost a step it's valid because I'm getting older -- 32 is an age where people think you're losing a step. And mostly last year I played hurt (with a nagging ankle injury). I looked very slow at times."

Smith said he felt healthy now and wanted to "see if I can get this old body up and running." He also said he was very happy the Panthers had traded with Chicago for tight end Greg Olsen.

"I'm excited about Greg," he said. "I wanted Greg five years ago [when Olsen was about to get drafted].... I thought he was a fantastic player. So I'm excited to play next to Greg because he can play. He can move pretty good for a tight end. I think if he lost a little weight he could probably be an outstanding wide receiver."

More to come on Smith in my column for Saturday's newspaper and online.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you "All In" Smitty. Despite the naysayers, we love you here in Carolina.

Anonymous said...

Chalk me up as another who's glad Smitty will be sticking around with us. The Panthers are a better team with that guy on the roster and the offense is more dynamic with him on the field.

Anonymous said...

I don't care if you don't like Smitty, he owns up to his mistakes, which most NFL players do not. The majority of people in this city love Smitty. So all the haters, hate on, you are the minority. That is what drives you crazy, and I love it! Here is to Smitty being a Panther for life, and his name being put in the stadium and a statue outside!

Anonymous said...

Fouler's such a wushead.
Whats wrong? Smith couldnt sell that 5 million dollar home so he is still a Panther? Its been over for yrs for lil man. Stick a fork in him. Hes been done.
Next ...

Anonymous said...

Hey person above...he sold his home. Moved into another home in Charlotte last week. Hes here to stay. Do some research buddy.

Anonymous said...

By the way, the house was $2 million which (based on Smitty's salary of $14.75 million over the next 2 years) is like someone making $147,500 over the next 2 years needing to sell a $20,000 house. So, I would say, no, he didn't need to sell the house if he really wanted to go to another team like San Diego.

Anonymous said...

Could we please give 89 some help on the other side of the field, a legitimate #2 threat? Not taking anything from Lafell or Gettis but we need a recognized and respected WR name that other teams know they will have to defend.

John said...

I love Smitty's reference to getting this "old body up and running". Sounds to me like he's already working on the heads of the Corners he's going to face this season... make them start underestimating him and "whoa... where'd he go???"!

panthers4life said...

we should sign Micheal Jenkins and if the Cowboys get nnamdi, they will release newman and we should pick him up and also get another DT like cullen jenkins or a lesser known chap

Where's Bernz? said...

My 14 year old daughter could outrun Smitty at this point of his career. Looks like a bunch of know nothing fans want him to be another Jake, that is here playing for us 5 years past his prime. Proves once again that the fan base of the Panthers is second only to the Cowboys in ignorance of football.

Anonymous said...

Smith has always been a "My Bad" man.

- Hit someone, "my bad".

- Act like an a$$, "my bad".

- Hit someone again, "my bad".

Again, my bad.....

Jay Hanig said...

We have some brave people here posting smack under the name of "Anonymous". What's the matter? Don't want anybody to know that was you posting crap?

I recognize Steve's weaknesses in the past but think that most of us become better men over time. I know I have; I believe Steve has too.

I'm glad he's decided to stick around. I hope they find somebody on the other side who scares the opposition enough to stop all of the double coverage all the time. Make 'em guess.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't he practice with Clausen?

RACIST!

Anonymous said...

This is 100% nothing but pure hype. Smith has done not a damn thing for 4 years plus been badly injured and very fragile and cant take a hit.

Hire a middle school WR to replace him you'd be better off. He collects a free welfare paycheck only from JR.

Anonymous said...

HE IS ENTERTAINING 4 SURE.

CIRCUS CLOWN ACT.

JOIN RINGLING OR WWE

OR BE A CHEERLEADER & WEAR A SKIRT

Anonymous said...

Steve is my all time favorite Panther player and probably the best Panther ever. At the same time, you cannot keep saying how sorry you are about the way you acted. Sometime you need to just be quite and take responsibility and quit doing irresponsible things.

Anonymous said...

Steve is my all time favorite Panther player and probably the best Panther ever. At the same time, you cannot keep saying how sorry you are about the way you acted. Sometime you need to just be quite and take responsibility and quit doing irresponsible things.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous,

Meet me in the film room after practice.

- Smitty

Anonymous said...

Smitty ain't gonna meet anyone after practice, he's is only tough when his opponent is kneeling down.

OBXsurfer4 said...

lol...anon 3:22 wants to see Smitty in a skirt and he's talkin trash?

OBXsurfer4 said...

my fault anon 3:22 i meant anon 3:30...can't keep track w/ all the anonymous people out there

Anonymous said...

Scott there are a lot of dumbs$$ commenters who are saying ignorant raist things as well as obscenities about you and Steve. please delete the haters from the PITTS-burg Stealhers and Dallyis Cowpiles. They smell very bad, like the girls they date.

Anonymous said...

If we dont sign a REAL CB we are toast

Anonymous said...

"Smith said he and rookie quarterback Cam Newton have been working out privately"

its called downlow ...

Anonymous said...

To all the Falcons trolls on here who bag on Smith:

Worry about your own team, and stay off of here. No one cares about your stupid comments or ignorant opinions. You are just scared because your team hasnt done anything to get better and we will pound you this year.

GO PANTHERS

Anonymous said...

So did Smith talk about last year when HE was telling the OL not to block for Clausen? He publically chastized Clausen last season and that is something you do not do.
That told the story. When the OL dosent block then the QB gets sacked. All it takes is one missed block per play to sack the QB.

mejor sexshop said...

Thanks for the article, very effective information.

xl pharmacy said...

He sure is a Entertaining, a legitimate bad boy.