Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Strasburg and the sports analogy of the month

There are lots of reasons for baseball fans to love Stephen Strasburg, the power pitcher who made his major-league debut Tuesday for the Washington Nationals and struck out an astounding 14 batters in seven innings of work.

Strasburg is the sort of guy everyone gets excited about -- he can throw it 100 mph and his major-league debut could hardly have gone better. He struck out the last seven batters he faced.

But I also liked what he said postgame when reporters asked about his performance.

"The only thing I really remember is the first pitch -- ball inside -- everything else is just such a blur," Strasburg said. "At one point I lost track of how many innings I threw. I was like, 'You know what? I'm just going to go out there and have fun.' It's amazing.

"It's kind of like when you get married and everything, you kind of go into it wanting to remember everything -- and once it's done, you can't remember a single thing."

I would bet this rings a bell with everyone who has ever been married. A total blur, isn't it? You're lucky if you get to eat anything at your own reception. You might remember a few things without visual aids -- i.e. photos and video -- but if you're like me, not too many.

With that quote, Strasburg -- who got married in January -- came up with what I believe will stand as the sports analogy of the month.

No comments: