Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Larry (For Once, Stay In Town) Brown

I wrote my column today about Larry Brown, the wandering coach who at age 69 has helped the Charlotte Bobcats finally get into the playoffs.

Brown is famously restless. He has made 9 NBA stops and is that rare coach who, closing in on age 70, could still easily convince some other NBA owner to hire him again. So it's natural that teams with any connection to Brown or his family would think about hiring the hall of famer.

Brown hadn't exactly stamped out the rumors of him going to Philadelphia or to the L.A. Clippers until Tuesday, when he told The Observer's Rick Bonnell he was going to coach nowhere else but Charlotte.

I do hope that's true. In the meantime, though, you may want to take a glance at this excellent Brown profile written in 1984 by Sports Illustrated's Gary Smith, a great guy who also happens to be one of the great American writers working today.

Incidentally, sorry I haven't been updating the blog lately. I was off for a week in early April, coinciding with my kids' spring break. But I'm back at it this week and will be posting regularly as usual. Come back early and often. I'll be posting again late tonight with some thoughts after attending the Bobcats' final regular-season game, against Chicago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but wait...there's more!

tomorrow...maybe...

hcg said...

I am happy to find this very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content.